Friday, August 21, 2009

Teaching in the "For Profit" sector

The Chronicle of Higher Ed had a post today from the President of Kaplan. http://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2009/08/21/clinefelter He discusses what it means to teach for a non-profit. I was interested that online faculty are expected to interact with students 10 hours a week. The full-time teaching load is 4 classes - 40 hours per week.

The article has other interesting points. I was impressed with the support for continued training.

One student in my present class teaches in a for profit institution. She said she must be in her class at least five days a week and must respond to student postings within 24 hours. The courses are monitored and if she falls behind she is contacted.

I think traditional institutions will soon have the technology to monitor teachers. I wonder if we will see more checking of online teacher preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment