Sunday, February 26, 2012

Designing Group Work Online

Planning Group Work Online


Group work online can be tricky but it can be done if it is well organized and if the rubrics are clear to the group. 

I have found that online groups of 2 do not work. They work in a face-to-face class because if somebody is absent you can switch group members. You cannot do that online, and, in an online class, even very good students have times when they must be absent. I like groups of 4-5.

 It does take more time to do group work online than it does in a face-to-face class. I usually give at least two weeks, preferably 3-4 weeks. What I do is put those who post early in the week in the same group, and those who post latter in the week in a different one. I do not think it is fair that students who complete their work early in the week should be in a group of others who are always “Last minute.” That means that I do not start group work in week 1 of the class unless I have had the same students before. It also means I monitor the interaction among students. 

 I also put myself as a member of each group and monitor the group. The students know they can ask me a question at any time. I keep refining my directions for group work every time I use it. “Social Loafing” can be a problem if you give everybody in the group the same grade. 

Group work should be done to achieve an educational objective. It should not be a way for the teacher to do less work. One teacher in a class I taught mentioned she would use all group work as a way to cut down on her time. When she was assigned group work herself in the course she said: “I hate to do group work” and was not a good teacher. When she started teaching an online course the students complained so strongly about her that she had to be replaced. Students know when you are not involved in the course.




No comments:

Post a Comment