Sunday, February 26, 2012

Modifying the Traditional Syllabus for an Online: Ten Tips for Online Teaching Success


Modifying the Traditional Syllabus for an Online: Ten Tips for Online Teaching Success 

When teachers begin to move their classes online their first idea, especially if they have had no training, is to transpose their face-to-face classes word for word to online. The course then becomes read/test, which is frustrating for both teachers and students. Some tips that I have found useful after teaching online classes for many years – since 1997!

  1. Be very specific in online courses. I have had teachers tell me that teaching online has made their f2f documents better. 
  2.  In an online class give more information on Netiquette, Technical Requirements, where to get technical help. (It should not be YOUR job to do this.)
  3. Video may need text equivalent. Not all students have fast connections (even if they are in the US). A text equivalent is required by ADA regulations also.
  4. It is easier to link to a site if it is on the Web instead of downloading it and putting the video on your institution’s server. Make use of web resources.
  5. Just putting up the Syllabus does NOT mean that students read it. I give a Syllabus Quiz. It is not a lot of points, but I want students to take it. I allow retakes because I want the students to know the answers.
  6.  I make very clear in the Syllabus that this course is NOT self study. Students know there are deadlines in the class and they must post when due. I actually make then read and email me a “Letter of Agreement” that says they read the Syllabus and know what is expected. I want students to drop the course in the drop/add period if they think the course is “fun and games.”
  7. What to do about late postings and assignments? I do give credit but I make it very worthwhile to do it on time, and I do not accept work over five days late. I think a 24-hour requirement is a hardship for students.
  8.  I have sometimes given students the ability to rate themselves. I make a pact with them – I grade before I look at their self rating. If my grade is higher than their grade then my grade stands. If my grade is lower, then I read their rationale and may revise if I agree with them.
  9. Integrate discussions and assignments so you do not have to criticize in the discussion board. In most Course Management Systems, such as Blackboard and Moodle, assignments are one-to-one, student to teacher. The discussions, unless you carefully structure otherwise, are many-to-many.
  10.  Power Point is easy to use, but there really are some students who do NOT have the software. It also adds overhead and download time. My advice is that if you wish to give student information then use a text document (save in .rtf format). However, if PowerPoint is necessary because of graphics or sound then present in the .ppt not the .pptx format or as an automatic play.

No comments:

Post a Comment